Monday, February 13, 2012

Introducing...Thailand

Mosquito bites.  Walking barefoot.  Eating mango sticky rice.  Trying a new exotic fruit.  Drinking coconut water from the coconut.  Sweat.  Great friends.

...Thailand.  It doesn't get much better than this!

  I'm here with the Rawlings family, enjoying my two weeks of warm weather, swimming and sightseeing.  It's truly a vacation from the cold weather of northern India and all the hard work I exerted during that time.

  But you know what's so funny?  Although I'm really enjoying my time, I am intensely drawn to the remote villages with their small huts, dirt floors, dirty children and rummaging dogs.  This last Sabbath, as we were leaving the academy (the only Adventist academy with a high school in all of Thailand), Steve took us on a little tour of the village nearby the school.  As we bumped along the rough road, my eyes were glued to the car window.  Everything was so familiar that it felt like I was home... in this filthy wisp of a village.  And yet, I wanted to jump out of the car and throw myself wholeheartedly into living these villagers' life.  I never realized how strongly this lifestyle tugged on my heart.

  Sure the living conditions aren't the best.  Most people in these 3rd world countries don't have clean water.  They don't have sanitary ways of washing dishes or bathing.  They sleep on the ground.  They walk barefoot and get parasites.  They contract diseases that usually don't cause a problem in the U.S., and yet they'll die from them.  What on earth would be so appealing about this life to a young girl from the States?

  It's so simple.  It's so un-extravagant.  It's so unpretending.  And it pulls on my heartstrings.  If I lived in conditions like this, I would do all in my power to stay clean, safe, sanitary and sane.  But, when you love something, you're willing to sacrifice comfort and security.  I realize... I love these people.  Not the Thai specifically (although, they now have a special place in my heart), but every "underprivileged" group of people.  Why do I put underprivileged in quotes?  Because, really...are they underprivileged?  Some may think they are, but they possess some of the greatest qualities in life... contentment, hospitality, thankfulness, selflessness, happiness.  Who's to say they are underprivileged?

   Driving through that "underprivileged" village, I was reminded of my time in India just a week back. My heart got heavy as all the memories of my time there with the girls came flooding back.  I miss them.  I really do.  I've come to the conclusion that I love - and I mean love - working with young people, be they small orphans or blossoming young ladies.  Either way, they absolutely steal my heart away.

  Steve interrupted my thoughts when he mentioned that Pastor Phamor had 12 young ladies (I think it was 12) who he [Pastor Phamor] was sponsoring to attend the Adventist academy.  They are Karen girls from Burma, all high school age.  Pastor Phamor has worked hard to train these girls to be proper Adventists.  The problem is, the academy has a strong Buddhist influence because of all the young people attending there who aren't converted.  Phamor is nervous to have these young ladies swayed from their beliefs, so he keeps them in a small "house" off of the campus (it's a boarding academy).  Problem is, he hasn't found a "housemother" to care for the girls (what he's doing now, I'm not sure).  Steve has discussed this predicament with Pastor Phamor and has been on the lookout for a suitable lady.  He brought the issue up to me to see if I was interested.  And I am super interested... except that I have committed myself to finishing college.  If I was done with college, I would jump on the opportunity.  But I feel led by God to finish what I've started.  Plus, being trained in dental work will help me be of better service.

  But, oh! how I want to be done with college!  I want to get on with my life, be of better help to mankind, throw myself into service.  But I'm yanked back to reality every fall when I sign up for another year of school.  Bother.

  But, then I remind myself, I can still find my mission field while in college.  They could be a neighbor, a VBS kid, a single mother, a group of young people, a classmate.  Why wait to be a missionary till I'm done with school?  Why can't I start now?

  And I am.  This trip has helped me refocus on my mission.  It's helping my eye be single to what God has planned for me.  And I'm ready to go wherever and whenever He calls me.

No comments:

Post a Comment