Friday, February 10, 2012

God Used Me

Who would’ve thought we could get so close and love each other so intensely in only a short 3 ½ weeks?  I find it hard to believe.  Yet, I could see the proof.

  A program just for me.  A poem written with me in mind.  Special musics done by the shiest of the girls.  Words of gratitude from young and old.  Gifts given lovingly.  Tears shed.

  I didn't know they had all this in mind.  I didn't even know the girls and staff all felt this way about my leaving.  Yet, looking around the group, I could see tear stained faces.  One was even bawling with her head in her hands.  All because of me?

  I wondered what was going on when I was told we were going to the church for worship that evening.  We usually had staff worship in the kitchen.  And why did all the staff come trotting giddily up behind me as I entered the church building?  Then I found out.  This is what I saw.



Singing
Tears sprung to my eyes especially after reading the first one.  I turned around and faced the girls, who sat there looking at me with expectant faces.  I called them to come give me a group hug.  The tears started flowing, falling on the heads of each girl I hugged and it started mingling with their own tears.

  "Of course, I want to come back," I said with trembling lips.  Funny thing is, I never really felt that way until that moment.  But at that moment, I realized that I would give the world to come back and see each girl.
Sandra Miss giving her appreciation

  I was then asked to sit at the front of the church as they gave their program planned just for me.  I couldn't stop the tears that kept falling down my cheeks.  I noticed several in the same predicament.  A special music was sung about the 6 seasons of India, which they all knew I had been intrigued about.  A poem was given that, through translation, said something about how amazing it was that we had grown so close over such a short period of time and that we were sad to say goodbye yet we knew that we would meet again.
Poem by Namuna

  Testimonies were given.  First it was Sandra Miss.  Then it was Bipana, the shy girl who would erupt in hysterical laughter with even the lightest touch because of her overly ticklishness.  Then Mrs. Horner spoke.  Then Chandrakala, the girl who arrived only a few days before my leaving.  Then Joseph (the only guy there that night).  Although not all of them could speak English, I caught bits and pieces (through translation)... you won our hearts... you have such an infectious smile... you encouraged me to be cheerful and always smile... thank you for cleaning my teeth... thank you for teaching me how to clean my teeth... thank you for teaching me how to lead VBS... thank you for teaching English... you were so helpful...I will miss you... we love you.

Special music by the shy Assamese girls
  Who wouldn't cry?  I realized that I was loved.   I realized that these people were more than friends... they had become a part of me.  I realized that I would miss them and I also realized that I didn't want to leave.  I let my tears flow.

Receiving my gift
  Another special music, then I was asked to sit back at the front of the church in my special spot.  I was then given two gifts.  One, Sandra Miss carried behind her back.  All the girls giggled excitedly.  A beautiful black lacy scarf was placed around my neck and then Sandra hugged me.  My next gift was carried by two girls (Rebica and Sajanna) and placed carefully on my lap.  It turned out to be a gorgeous picture that the girls said was my "home."  I felt like laughing and crying, so I did both.

The picture
  What had happened during these past 3 1/2 weeks?  Where had time gone?  How had I drawn so incredibly close to these girls in only a short time that would cause them to put on a whole program for me?

"God be with you till we meet again..."
  And I can't help but think, what if I had stayed longer?  What if I hadn't stayed 3 1/2 weeks but 3 1/2 months... or years?  How much would I affect them then?  If I could affect them this much in only 3 1/2 weeks, what could happen in a longer period of time?  What amazing bonding had taken place in these short weeks!

  And God used me.  Me.  Tall, blond, awkward, humorous, clumsy me.  If God could use me to create an impact on these girls' lives, then what can He do with you?

God used me.

  

1 comment: