Sunday, February 26, 2012

Seoul Korea!

I realize that I love experiencing different cultures!

Me with some girls in the traditional Korean costume
  Whatever part of the culture it is.  On the tour, we went to the palace of a king from a dynasty of long ago.  I learned different things about the Korean history.  And I got to talk with one of the Korean ladies on the tour and I learned a ton more.  She says that Korea has a very vibrant economy right now, but doesn't have much for natural resources (much like Japan, which was a factor that played into the WWII). They put a huge focus on education, but not creativity.  So she says that they don't have many "Steve Jobs", as she put it.  And yet they're super smart, but not allowed to use those smarts appropriately.  She's disappointed that Korea is only known for the Korean War and that's about it.  I could understand that.

  Anyway, the funnest part of the tour for me, was to eat at a local restaurant.  I ordered something called Bi Bim Bap.  It was a red rice topped with an assortment of vegetables.  It was delicious except for the fact that they put a blob of runny egg on the top.  I tried to gingerly pick the egg off with my spoon, but was horrified when the whole thing burst upon my touch and started to run onto all my delicious vegetables!  I've never been a connoisseur of eggs and actually pretty much despise them unless they're fried really well.  Thankfully, because I choose to be vegan and I'm actually allergic to eggs, I don't ever have to search hard for an excuse not to eat them... except when they've exploded onto your whole lunch.  Yuck!  I picked around the egg as much as possible, but was still disgusted when I would get a slight taste of it.  Oh well.  Otherwise, the meal was wonderful!  I got to try kimchi, which was yummy except that it was a tad too spicy for my taste.  And, hey!  I've gotten pretty good at eating with chopsticks now!  I'm pretty proud of myself! :)

  I sat with two gentlemen who turned out to be so very nice!  King is Thai and so we talked a lot about Thailand and it's culture and what not.  And Bob is from New York, a single man who loves to travel and has been vegan for over 15 years!  He loved talking about eating vegan/vegetarian and I found that we hit it off really well.  He mentioned that he does green drinks whenever possible and I couldn't contain myself!  When I told him we did green drinks, he laughed long and hard.  He couldn't believe it!  It was a fun conversation, to say the least!  And now, King is considering trying the vegetarian thing!  How neat!

  Anyway, both guys stuck with me as we explored the walking souvenir street, which was a relief to me.  There wasn't much new that I hadn't seen from Thailand or India.  Seems like these Asian countries have a similar taste in... pretty much everything.  But I bought a scarf (I love scarves!) and some postcards.  I had to get something from Korea.

  We also visited a Buddhist temple.  I didn't have the guts to walk inside in the middle of their worship service.  It reminded me a lot of Catholicism... the candles, the huge statues (of Buddha), the prayer beads.  It all seemed vaguely familiar, yet foreign at the same time.  Pillows were placed on the floor and several ladies were doing some sort of prayer that involved them kneeling with their face to the floor then standing up, then kneeling, then standing... a workout in and of itself.  Who needs a gym when your Buddhist?

Add caption
  But, I was saddened to see these dear people so steeped in their religion of works.  Near the temple was a tall structure that was some sort of prayer thing too.  Several people were seen walking around it. According to Dam Bi, our tour guide, the people walk around it so many times to ask their petition.  They pause at different places to bow with hands together, praying.  Then they continue on their journey around the structure... for who knows how long.  And then, they walk away fully believing that they've been heard.  By whom?

  But I was surprised to learn that South Korea is half Christian and half% Buddhist (after learning this, I looked it up.  Here's the stats - 46% no religion, 23% Buddhist, 30% Christian.  Not too bad).  That's more Christian then a lot of other Asian countries.  Like India, which is 80% Hinduism and only 2.3% Christian.  That's a sizable difference.

Anyhow, I did enjoy my tour a lot and was thankful I took it.  I was really tired after, for I hadn't gotten hardly any sleep since Sunday night.  But it was worth it (the tour)!  What a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment