Friday, August 29, 2014

Wrapping Up



Our time here in Chad is wrapping up.  Only 3 more days until we leave for America.  I’ve said this before, but it’s really amazing how fast time flies!  This has been an incredible experience for both of us. 

It’s Friday, and the local mosque is blasting their Friday sermon over this part of town.  I don’t mind their calls to prayer every day… it’s just a mournful tune that’s sung early in the morning and I think 2 more times in the day.  The sermon is a little more annoying, but it’s only once a week.

I think I have a head cold.  I woke up with a runny nose and a sore throat, and I now have a headache as well.  I took a malaria test just to be safe, and it came back negative.  One of the other volunteers had the same thing a few days ago, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I got it from her.  I’ve been boning up on Vitamin C and plenty of water and rest.  I’m sure it will pass in a couple days.  Hers lasted 3 days.  Other than that, I’m feeling fine.  No one start worrying about me, k?

Last night we had the biggest thunder storm we’ve experienced since being here.  It woke both of us up.  It was a heavy downpour, and of course, being under a metal roof, it sounded like a stampede of horses up there.  The wind was howling and the thunder clapped.  I usually like thunder storms, cuddling more under my covers and closer to Will and feeling so warm and safe.  But, I had trouble going back to sleep because I just then remembered that I had left laundry on the clothesline out there.  I lay in bed, imagining all our clothes scattered all over the compound, wet and muddy.  I prayed a prayer that there were no embarrassing undergarments that were on that line and tried going back to sleep.  In the morning, I checked on the clothes, and they were all still on the line… and I didn’t have undergarments on the clothesline. Phew!  How they stayed on there during those winds is beyond me.

It’s great befriending the patients.  There’s one man that came in with a sore tooth that I tried pulling, but poor guy just couldn’t get numb enough to let me extract it.  After talking with Dr. Scott, we decided to pull it while the guy is under ketamine.  It’s planned for this Sunday.  The gentleman is staying the hospital wards for a while because he just had an operation, so every time I come into the wards, he smiles at me and we exchange a few French greetings that I know.  He is such a happy man!  There was another guy who is in traction for 6 weeks and so he’s basically bed ridden.  We do physical therapy with him often and he’s a willing and enthusiastic participant.  His young daughter the other day was sleeping next to him and I made some compliments about her in English and he just beamed, even though he had no clue what I just said.  We laughed about our inability to understand each other.  Even though it’s hard not being able to communicate, I’ve noticed that it doesn’t get in the way of establishing relationships.  And I’ve done pretty well communicating to my dental patients.  I know just a few words and lots of universal hand signals that I get along pretty well, actually!  And I know how to write antibiotic prescriptions (scary!) and do it all the time.  I couldn’t do that in America.  I’m enjoying being little miss dentist for the time here.

                                                          Extraction under ketamine

                                         Working as a physical therapy aide (doing ice massage)

No comments:

Post a Comment