Sunday, August 17, 2014

An Update From Jolene


Will did a wonderful job updating you all about our travels and first few days here in Chad (encore to him, right?).  It has been an eventful few days with so much that happened that it seems like we’ve been here for a week at least.  We already feel endeared to the Chadians and the other volunteer missionaries.

Bekki put Will to work the afternoon we got in from our 8 hour bus ride to Moundou.  She did allow him to eat first, but they both have a lot to learn and do together that she went right down to business taking him around to the different patients and their cases.  I went along for the fun of it and to see the wards and patients.  I had prepared myself to see some pretty disgusting things while I was here, so I braced myself for the worst.  But, it really wasn’t that bad walking around with Will and Bekki…

…Until Friday morning during rounds.  Will and I thought it would be good to see how rounds go and watch the wound care and dressing changes.  The day before, everyone’s wounds were bound up, but that morning they were undressed for the doctor to see them.  If any of you have seen the pictures on Gardner’s blog, you know what I’m talking about here.  My stomach started twisting inside me to see all the open gaping wounds, some deeper and larger than others.  I avoided certain beds when I caught glimpses of their wounds.  When we went into the men’s ward, oh the smells that accost your nostrils!  A mix of betadine, body odor, urine and whatever infected wounds smell like (it’s gross).  I felt my stomach trying to expel its contents into my throat, so I quickly left the ward before I vomited on everything.  I had to stay out of the ward for a while before I could try going inside again.  I’ve been told by Scott and the volunteer missionaries that it’s common even for the most calloused health care workers to feel a bit queasy for a few weeks/months when they visit the wards or help with surgeries.  It’s just such a shock for all the senses.  Will seemed to handle it just fine.  I’m sure I’ll get a little better, but I am the owner of a very weak stomach, so how much I can get better is probably pretty minimal.

Even then, I hope to help out as best I can.  I have hunted, sorted and gathered all the dental supplies that were scattered abroad around the hospital compound and today I plan on trying to figure out the sterilizer.  A few Chadians have mentioned needing dental help or wanting me to look at something.  Sadly, because I don’t have my official paper license with me (it’s sitting in the mail at my house), they can’t advertise any dental care I’m available to do on the radio because the government would have a fit.  Don’t want any problems with the government, so we’re just advertising to the patient’s families and the church members.  So, I’m not sure I’ll be doing very much dental care, except for a few cases, and those will probably just need extractions.  I brought cleaning supplies, but when accidents, death and sore teeth are the bigger problems here, people don’t put value in getting their teeth cleaned.  I might get a few interested people, but it will only be a handful I’m sure.  But even if I don’t get to clean/extract teeth as much as I planned, that’s okay; there are still lots of work to be done here.

The Gardner’s have a huge shipping container that has all sorts of medical supplies and things for their home in it.  It took months for it to finally land on their doorstep (read their blog more if you’re interested in the details), and now we have our work cut out for us.  The house is literally buried in boxes.  We spent the majority of today unloading the shipping container and unpacking the boxes in the house.  When Gardners kept talking about their “container,” I was thinking of a small box… no, this is the kind of container that you see trains carrying… yeah, those huge metal things.  Those things are bigger than you realize.  So much was crammed in there and it’s still not completely unloaded yet!  Needless to say, we will all sleep really, really well tonight.

We wish we could post more pictures of our adventures here, but sadly, Chad has made picture-taking illegal unless you get a permit.  Some of the missionaries had problems with the police because they were taking pictures of tortoises.  So, most of the pictures that we will show of life outside of the hospital compound were sneakily captured with our iPhones as we nonchalantly pretend to be fiddling on our phones.  So far, no problems.  But this makes sharing pictures really difficult.

Church on Sabbath was interesting and so neat!  Sabbath is my favorite day whenever I am on a mission trip because it’s such a cultural experience and I love seeing how different cultures worship God.  The Chadians love to sing and move with the music.  They don’t have accompaniment, just drums and cymbals (some churches in America would cringe).  All of us volunteer missionaries had a really hard time not laughing when the choir starting singing a religious song to the tune of “In the Jungle” from the Lion King!  We all looked at each other and tried stifling our giggles.  I wish I knew their words to it.  Most likely it’s a common African tune which is no surprise it was added to the movie.  We enjoyed the rest of the service through translation.

I believe I’m becoming a real Chadian… riding a moto (small motorcycle) in a skirt.  It’s a challenge to do but I think I’m getting the hang of it!  See, in Chad, it is improper for ladies to show their knees, so to hoist yourself onto a moto while keeping your skirt or dress below the knee is a little challenging, then add on a bag or two from the market that you are holding, and it makes it even more difficult, but I somehow today managed all this and stayed completely modest.  I felt like a pro as I rode behind the driver with a bag in hand and my skirt blowing in the breeze.  It is pure joy to ride on a moto.  If I were a male Chadian that would be the career I would choose.  It is so hot at times, and yet, on a moto, it refreshes me with the breeze. 

Tomorrow is our first year anniversary!  Can’t believe it’s been a year!  Surely, it has been the most blissful and happy year of married life that either of us could imagine.  Because Will is leaving early tomorrow to head down to the refugee camps south of here, we don’t have anything spectacular planned, which is fine, because we had a little celebration at Olive Garden before we left for Africa, well knowing we may not be able to do anything here.  It will be fun to later tell our children about our first year anniversary in Africa!  We look forward to eternity together.

We were able to talk to our parents today, which was so nice and I’m sure a relief to them.  We only have about 2 more weeks left before we leave.  Thank you all for the continued prayers.  

Jolene on a moto with Scott taking a Sabbath ride
Our ride to church... we fit 22 people in this thing

Church service Chadian style

1 comment:

  1. Illegal picture taking? Can you imagine what an impact that would have in the US where people are obsessed with photos?! Whew.

    Oh, hey, I was thinking that it would be supremely helpful if you linked the Gardner's blog in a few of your sentences, such as "It took months for it to finally land on their doorstep (**link**read their blog more **end link** if you’re interested in the details), and now we have our work cut out for us."

    "If any of you have seen **link to post with pics** the pictures on Gardner’s blog,**end link** you know what I’m talking about here."

    22 people in that vehicle?! WOW! You guys sure are pro's :D And by the way… happy anniversary!! That means it's been a whole year since I've been back home. Wow. Anyway, that is seriously way cool that you have the "our first anniversary was in Africa" story :) Very special!

    Glad to see that you're both safe and sound, happy as busy worker bees. I just know that a LOT of good and plenty of amazing things (as well as some heartbreak, to be sure) will happen in the next two weeks. I bet it will both fly by and seem to last forever. Take care, you two! <3

    ReplyDelete