Thursday, January 19, 2012

Another Day in India

For the first time in days, I can see the sun.  Oh, how it brightens your soul!  It takes the sharp bite of cold away and warms the lingering chill in the air.  I can still see my breath here in my room.  A heater with only one filament is vying to take the chill away and I’m sitting right next to it, in hopes of warming my fingers so I can type better.  I have 35 minutes until my English class begins.

  For those who are unsure what I’m doing here in India, let me explain…  I decided to take this next semester of college off since I was finished with all my prerequisites for the dental hygiene course I want to get into.  Since I have close to 8 months free (Yeah!), I felt it would be appropriate to do another mission trip while I have the ability to do so.  Through God-directed circumstances, God made it clear that He wanted me to go to India where some dear friends of mine, the Pozo’s, were working at a Lifestyle Center.  The Center is located way up in northern India near the boarder of Nepal, thus the reason most people here speak Nepali (in fact, most of the students at the Center are Nepalese). 

  Right now, the School is in the middle of a 6-month training course for women.  They give them a well-rounded education on a variety of subjects, including massage therapy, leadership in the church, math, English, sewing (or tailoring, as they call it), hydrotherapy, and more.  They have around 25-28 girls here (I’m not sure of the total number) ranging in ages from 12 to near 30.  A few are married, but most are single.

  My main job while I was here was to help teach classes (like massage therapy, English and something about ministering to the church) and learn to clean teeth.  So far, I’ve been doing all those things plus some!  It’s been such a great experience already and I’m only one week into my stay here! 


Heading to Nepal, all piled in a car!

  I was so excited this last Sunday, for I got to step into Nepal!  Sure, I was sitting around near the customs building, but I was on Nepali soil!  Uncle Aaron, Auntie Lori and Christian all left Sunday to work for a month in Nepal doing evangelistic work and encouraging the Bible workers there.  Krystle and I went with them to the border and were allowed to cross the border as long as we came back.  So, I can say that I’ve been to Nepal!


  I sure will miss the rest of the Pozo gang… the small two room building that Krystle and I are sleeping in seems so much more cold and empty without them.  At least I got to spend a few days with them before they left for Nepal.

Our group at the Nepal border
Bernice, Krystle, Senteal, Me, Rubina, and Sarita
  We’ve started training the girls in massage therapy here.  That’s been interesting.  Sandra Miss used me to demonstrate the face massage.  As soon as I lay on the massage table, I was immediately surrounded by all the girls.  Many of them cautiously touched me, as though they felt it was safe to do so now that I was “contained”.  As Sandra Miss worked my facial muscles, the girls started giggling.  Sandra translated to me that they were laughing because my face was getting so red from the rubbing.  They found it comical to see this white girl turn beet red! 

  I made Russian Borsch for breakfast the other day because Sandra Miss had beets and didn't know what to do with them.  The borsch turned out pretty good and was a big hit!  They want me to make it again!  Feels funny making a Russian dish in India! :)

  I'd better close... time for my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment